Winter Herbal Remedies Mini Course - 12 lessons!
Winter Herbal Remedies Mini Course - 12 lessons
with instructor Karin Kliewer, community herbalist based at Little City Farm
Take part in this exciting introductory level 12 week Winter Herbal Remedies mini course! Get one new full colour PDF lesson sent to your inbox each week, with:
- individual plant profiles,
- herbal folklore,
- plant uses/interactions/cautions,
- starting herb seedlings,
- growing & harvesting tips,
- detailed instructions recipes to try at home,
- one herbal preparation method per week,
- suggestions on where to source ingredients & supplies
We will focus on one plant per week as well as one herbal preparation method, and encourage you to try out at least a few of these recipes to build your herbal medicine cabinet over the winter months! These remedies are wonderful for winter health, but of course can be used all year round. The herbal methods we will cover are applicable to be used with many other herbs throughout all seasons. We will include instructions for where to source the best quality herbs for these winter projects.
We will be covering 12 plants that can be locally grown (and/or wild-harvested), so you can grow or source these plants for your own garden in 2021 if you want to continue this herbal learning journey!
Each week we will have opportunity for email questions to instructor Karin Kliewer.
We will focus on:
1) Thyme - Making infused honey
2) Sage - Making herbal throat sprays
3) Marshmallow - Making pastilles
4) Bergamot - Making oxymels
5) Cayenne - Making fire cider tonics
6) Reishi - Making immune-boosting medicinal herbal soups
7) Cedar - Making herbal steams
8) Rosehips - Making decoctions/infusions
9) Astragalus - Making herbal immunity chai
10) Elder - Making elderberry syrup
11) Yarrow - Making tinctures
12) Echinacea - Making whole plant tinctures
Limited space. Registration will be available online, on a first come basis. Although this mini course is geared toward adults, this is also a great project to take on with homeschooled kids, middle school, or teens, as a fun home-learning project.
DATES: This mini course runs from January 4 - March 22, 2021
For ONLY a little more than $6/week we are trying to keep this is an affordable intro course to start with!
About the instructor:
Karin Kliewer is a community herbalist, having worked with medicinal herbs on a first-hand basis for 20 years. She has finished herbal certifications with Sage Mountain, Dominion Herbal College, and Chestnut Herb School, and taken part in numerous other herbal lectures, conferences, and short courses. She tends a wide variety of medicinal herbs from seed & cuttings at her small urban farm Little City Farm, and enjoys wild-harvesting many favourite medicinals in nearby farmsites, meadows and woodlands. Karin has taught many hands-on herbal workshops at Little City Farm, and most enjoys when her teaching can empower people to build a personal relationship with healing plants and bring them into everyday use.