Intro to Soap Making Class - June 1 SOLD OUT
Date: Sat, June 1
Time: from 9:30 am-12 noon
Facilitator: Karin Kliewer, local herbalist & soap maker
LEARN TO MAKE NATURAL COLD PROCESS SOAP FROM SCRATCH
Learn to make beautiful, long-lasting, natural soap that is free of any additives, preservatives, sulphates and other nasty chemicals that can be found in commercial soaps. In this busy hands-on workshop you will be walked through the entire process of making traditional all-natural cold process vegan soap using organic vegetable oils, lye, pure essential oils, natural clays and organic botanicals. We will briefly cover the chemistry of soap making, plus lye safety, calculating recipes, properties of oils, measuring ingredients, preparing soap molds, cutting and curing soap, and sourcing ingredients.
Each participant will make their own custom 1 lb batch of organic vegan soap to take home (aprox. 4 large bars). All ingredients, tools, including a take-home wooden handcrafted soap mold & cutter, instructions, handout notes and recipes will be provided.
IMPORTANT: What to bring along:
Participants are asked to bring
- an old towel
- a 1-litre cardboard waxed milk carton (to use as a mold)
- wear old clothes and an apron as soap making can be messy.
- closed toe shoes
- We work with lye outdoors, so please dress for the weather. The rest of the class is held indoors.
Workshop price includes the following:
- your own custom batch of 1 lb soap (all organic ingredients)
- all ingredients including essential oils
- all materials and handout notes, recipes, resources
- safety gear to use during the workshop
Cost: $60 + HST
*Note - if you can't make this date, please contact us to discuss a private soap class (4 people minimum)